Wednesday 3 June 2015

Holy shit, Stop the press. I think he finally Gets it. (A tale of struggle with UV Atlas)

Whoa whoa. A blog update. I've been a little bit slack about positing things lately. I've been getting frustrated with UV unwrapping and it's basically bottled necked my entire project just due to my brain and myself being retarded. But I finally understand how to do it. So that's good at least.

To summarise what a UV Atlas for mainly those people that don't understand, Is when you texture an object and import it into a game. When the player see's it with a texture on it, the makes what we call a "Draw Call" to establish the connection between object and texture. If you can fit multiple textures on what we call a texture atlas, it can cover more than one object and thus still only make the one draw call. The problem with multiple draw calls or an excessive amount of draw calls is that it can lag the users computer.

So in the last two weeks I've updated my greyboxing and doing it a lot more modular and doing my texture atlas.

Greyboxing Attempt #2. Going a lot more modular.

With a simple bunch of modular parts I build a simple castle/church. 


The atlas of simple textures that I will then modify and hand paint later. 

The struggle I had with UV atlasing, was more so understanding it. Simple things such as realising that Maya isn't like Photoshop. In photoshop if I make a 4k texture the canvas scales to 4k, In Maya the canvas resolution stays the same so 512 can look like 4k canvas. Confused the shit out of me!!


1 comment: